Friday, October 2, 2020

October 2, 2020: Blake Coe, Southwest Region

Love letter to camp...
Week Two: Longing for Guidance

This year many of our summer camping programs faced creative, spiritual and financial challenges. For many young people, camp is a significant part of their faith journey and relationships. Ministries Across Generations wanted to share importance of camp and support (financially and spiritually) the places where many people feel God's presence most.

To donate to today's camp: Disciple Oaks in Gonzales, Texas

Hello! My name is Blake Coe. I have just begun my second year of college and I went to camp in the Southwest Region, beginning at Lake Brownwood Christian Retreat Center (LBCR), then Disciples Crossing (DC), and finishing my camp years at the Disciples Oaks Retreat Center.

Growing up the son of a very involved preacher, I suppose it shouldn’t come as a shock that I was introduced to camp at a very young age. Back in those days, it was like a fun vacation my friends and I took every year. As I write, memories of LBCR’s Vespers, DC’s “Creative” Side, and Disciple Oaks’ Big Room take me back to a simpler time. Camp was where I could be myself. Camp didn’t treat me like an outsider. Camp was home.

It wasn’t until God found me, around my freshman year of high school, that the whole dynamic of camp evolved. Camp made me think in different ways and explore my own beliefs and emotions. That curiosity led me to join the Youth Ministry Team at the same time the Coastal Plains/Bluebonnet Area youth were combining, which made me a member among the first Mission South YMT’s. At CYLS, the recently-installed Regional’s takes communion from their predecessor and then serves the new servant leaders; and I remember feeling for the first time in that moment a deeper feeling of spiritual satisfaction than I had ever felt.

It is impossible to describe the camp experience, but I know that it is unmatched in every category. I love camp because of it's first and foremost a community, bringing people together and forging relationships that will last a lifetime. I love camp because it is away from the chaos of the outside world, giving me time to think about personal issues and further explore my faith/spirituality. I cannot imagine how it must feel to lose that experience.

Things are different now. COVID-19 silently lurks, hurting those we love and pushing the pause button on typical Summer activities. I hope you continue to stay healthy and encouraged by the fact that we can and we will prevail. Although camp is cancelled, I am reminded and hopeful of the fact that this is temporary and God loves me; the same way God loves you.

Stay healthy and safe!

Peace, now and forever.

Blake Coe (Camper, YMT, RYMC, GYC, MAG)


Scripture Week Two: (From InsideOut, This is Our Prayer)
1 Kings 3:7–15

Lord God, I’m your servant, and you’ve made me king in my father’s place. But I’m very young and know so little about being a leader. And now I must rule your chosen people, even though there are too many of them to count. Please make me wise and teach me the difference between right and wrong. Then I will know how to rule your people. If you don’t, there is no way I could rule this great nation of yours.

God said: Solomon, I’m pleased that you asked for this. You could have asked to live a long time or to be rich. Or you could have asked for your enemies to be destroyed. Instead, you asked for wisdom to make right decisions. So I’ll make you wiser than anyone who has ever lived or ever will live. I’ll also give you what you didn’t ask for. You’ll be rich and respected as long as you live, and you’ll be greater than any other king. If you obey me and follow my commands, as your father David did, I’ll let you live a long time. Solomon woke up and realized that God had spoken to him in the dream. He went back to Jerusalem and stood in front of the sacred chest, where he offered sacrifices to please the Lord and sacrifices to ask his blessing. Then Solomon gave a feast for his officials.

At Home Videos

Weekly Scriptures
Read the weekly scripture each day. Find a phrase or word that speaks to you. Share your reflections with others over dinner, social media, and in prayer. Share the scripture with a child you know in the car, through a text, or in a children's Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment