Tuesday, October 13, 2020

October 13: Lucy Brown, Kentucky Region, General Youth Council

Love letter to camp...
Week Four: Longing to Celebrate

This year many of our summer camping programs faced creative, spiritual and financial challenges. For many young people, camp is a significant part of their faith journey and relationships. Ministries Across Generations wanted to share importance of camp and support (financially and spiritually) the places where many people feel God's presence most.

To donate to today's camp: Camp Wakon'Da-Ho, Ke

Dear Camp Wakon’Da-Ho,

It breaks my heart to say I won’t have the opportunity to spend a week at camp this summer.

Over the years, camp has served as a reset for me, a reminder of the simple things in life, a break from the rush of school, extracurriculars and work. There, I am reminded of God’s unconditional love, the beautiful sounds of nature and how grateful I am for air conditioning. Most importantly though, I am reminded of how I can see God in others. At Wakon’Da-Ho, I have met some of my best friends and created relationships that will last a lifetime. The magic of Wakon’Da-Ho allows campers to open their hearts and grow more in a way that is shocking for the short time we spend together.

At Wakon’Da-Ho everyone is accepted, and everyone finds happiness and ways to cope with whatever is going on at home. That’s the kind of camp it is, you never leave felling unfulfilled.

And that is why I’m heartbroken. After months of quarantine, missing out on my junior year and anxiety for what was to come, I really needed that reset. And if I’m being honest, I still need it more than ever. Virtual camp helped some, but it’s not the real thing.

If I’ve learned anything from quarantine, I now know how grateful I am for my camp. I also couldn’t be more excited for my next trip there. Because I know it will be the most rewarding trip I’ll have gone on and that thought couldn’t make me happier.

Love

Lucy Brown


Scripture Week Four:
 (From InsideOut, This is Our Prayer)
Every time I think of you, I thank my God. And whenever I mention you in my prayers, it makes me happy.  This is because you have taken part with me in spreading the good news from the first day you heard about it.  God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won’t stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns.

You have a special place in my heart. So it is only natural for me to feel the way I do. All of you have helped in the work that God has given me, as I defend the good news and tell about it here in jail. God himself knows how much I want to see you. He knows that I care for you in the same way that Christ Jesus does.

I pray that your love will keep on growing and that you will fully know and understand how to make the right choices. Then you will still be pure and innocent when Christ returns. And until that day, Jesus Christ will keep you busy doing good deeds that bring glory and praise to God.

SOMETHING FUN

Weekly Scriptures
Read the weekly scripture each day. Find a phrase or word that speaks to you. Share your reflections with others over dinner, social media, and in prayer. Share the scripture with a child you know in the car, through a text, or in a children's Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment