Monday, October 10, 2016

October 10: Choosing Another Way


"And you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free." - John 8:32



One of the greatest gifts God gives us is his Holy Son, Jesus Christ. If Jesus didn't die on the Cross for us, our relationship with God would be disconnected and we would not be able to "bear good fruit." Growing up Tongan American in Utah has been tough, especially growing up in what most people called the "ghetto." Too many times I encountered violent situations such as a group of teenagers punching me to the ground because of the color shirt I was wearing, trading swear words with other minority groups who had different opinions than me, or watching other parents beat their kid up because they were alcoholics. As I grew closer to God, I began to realize that, although I wanted to retaliate and prove my point, because I believed I should be on top, I had a revelation that Jesus is the Way the Truth and Life. 



When I began to seek God and start a personal relationship with Him, I reacted differently to violent situations. Rather than fight back, I let go. Rather than feel hatred towards people who abused, I prayed for them. Fighting back is a lie, because what do you gain from it? 



In Matthew 11:28: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.



Lord, I pray for healing and comfort for those who are scarred from violent actions. And that we may always remember, Your Spirit of Good Fruit to help make smart choices. Thank you.



*****
Siosifa Uesi
was born and raised in the state of Utah, and is the third oldest out of eight children. His parents are from the Island of Tonga nextled in the South Pacific. Granger Chrisitan Church, West Valley City, Utah is where Siosifa attends and also conducts the youth choir. Siosifa is currently getting his Bachelor of Arts in Music at the University of Utah. Sifa hopes to record the first Tongan Gospel Jazz Muisc and build his own music studio when he graduates.
*****



A Little More...Everybody's Different by Paula Gelbach https://www.amazon.com/Its-Everybodys-Different-Paula-Gelbach-ebook/dp/B00BRGJHXM/


Our 2016 prayer vigil theme is Helping Our Children Heal from Violence. For more resources visit  disciplesjustice4children.org and docfamiliesandchildren.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment