Thursday, September 22, 2016

September 22: You Are Safe


 



God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
    though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
- Psalm 46:1-3 

When I was a little girl, a very long time ago, we played a game called "War" in the woods next to our school at recess.  The object of the game was to capture or “kill” all of the kids on the opposing team. I often volunteered to be in charge of guarding the prisoners.  Amid all the noise and confusion of the game, I sat peacefully on a log, knowing that I would be safe from capture or harm in that place.  Whenever a classmate was captured and placed in my care, I could assure them saying, “Don’t worry. You are safe here.”  Today when I am afraid, I seek that place within myself that feels like that clearing, that place where God resides inside me.  For God is truly my refuge and my strength. God is always with me, in times of peace and in times of trouble.  And when God is with me, I need not fear.  

Dear God, let me be with you always, for when I am with you, I am safe. 


*****
Maria Tafoya
is Senior Pastor of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Selma, California.
*****

Our 2016 prayer vigil theme is Helping Our Children Heal from Violence. For more resources visit  disciplesjustice4children.org and docfamiliesandchildren.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment