Friday, October 10, 2014

Too Many Tears

October 11, 2014

My eyes are spent with weeping; my stomach churns; my bile is poured out on the ground because of the destruction of my people, because infants and babes faint in the streets of the city. Lamentations 2:11 NRSV

When I first read this verse from Lamentations 2, my heart broke. It broke because I sympathize with the writer. My eyes are also tired from crying. My stomach is in knots so tight I’d rather rip it out and toss it on the street than feel this way another second over children who are put in harm’s way.  

It continues to break even now because I know there are children within my own privileged community who go to sleep weeping, stomachs churning, praying that God will make things better. 

I see it and I often feel powerless to make a difference.  Is prayer enough? What more can I do? What more can we do? How long do our babies have to be in harm’s way?

O Holy One, when our eyes are swollen from too many tears, dry our eyes that we might see where we can offer your light. When our stomach churns and we want to remove it rather than feel the pain, show us your grace. Strengthen us that we might transform this world of destruction into a world of safety and peace. Amen.

Andrea Brownlee
Associate Pastor
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Oskaloosa, Iowa

No comments:

Post a Comment