Saturday, October 11, 2014

Shame Internalized

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Young men are compelled to grind, and boys stagger under loads of wood. Lamentations 5:13 NRSV


The Jerusalem captives are certain that God is punishing them. Little children internalize this belief.  “God is mad at me.”

Little girls and little boys are born into punishing situations. Do they know that they are innocent?  Do they know that God loves them? How many children believe that they are innately bad?  

“Other kids get to play and have fun. I have to carry heavy wood in the cold.  My fingers get smashed. God must be mad at me. I am bad.”

We pray for suffering children. We pray for your liberation. We pray for your justice. If we adults have favor in your eyes, allow us to be part of the solution. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.  

Brian Morse
Director of Spiritual Care 
Truman Medical Centers - Lakewood
Kansas City, Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment