Monday, October 10, 2011

Lost & Found



One day I walked into 7th grade science class to find my swimsuit on the skeleton used to teach the bones of the body. I told my mother I lost it. It was too humiliating to claim it at the “lost and found”. Children suffer humiliation every day in public schools when they make mistakes. Phillip Brown of Rutgers University wrote, “Bullying can be defined as instances in which the core ethical value of respect for the integrity and dignity of the individual is questioned or denied through various forms of humiliation.”


Prayer
God who is like a loving Father, we pray for children who are victims of bullying. We pray that our public schools become caring communities where adults create an environment of mutual respect. Amen.


Rev. Laurel Ragland
First Christian Church
Claremore, Oklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment