Thursday, September 23, 2021

September 23, 2021 - The Story of the Good Shepherd

The Story of the Good Shepherd

Go here for more guidance on engaging in this year's Light a Candle with Children.

Story Preparation: Find a place in your home to worship with the story.

Sing:
Be Still and Know that I Am God

Be Still and Know I am God, Be Still and Know I am God, Be Still and Know I am God.

Center Your Mind and Body

Share the Story:
of “The Good Shepherd” Young Children and Worship by Sonja Stewart and Jerome Berryman

The Light (Psalm 23)

I wonder if this is a parable? Hmm. It might be. Parables are very precious, like gold, and this box is gold

This box looks a bit like a gift.

Well, parables are like presents. They have already been given to us. We can’t buy them, or steal them. They are already ours…. There is another reason why this might be a parable. It has a lid.

And sometimes parables seem to have lids on them. But when you lift the lid of a parable there is something very precious inside… I know. Let’s take off the lid and see if this is a parable.

I wonder what this could be?

It’s so green. It’s so soft and warm. I wonder what could be so green?

Maybe there is something else that will help us…

Here it is..

It is so blue… and cool. I wonder what it might be?

Let’s see if there’s anything else.

These are very dark. There seems to be no light in them at all.

I wonder what these could be?

I wonder what this could be? If I place it here…it looks like a road.

This could be the beginning, and this could be the end. Or this could be the beginning and this the end.

If I add another… then the road could be in between.

Then this could be the beginning and this the end. Or this might be the beginning and this the end.

There are more. If I put one here and one here…I could make this place very strong. It’s getting stronger…and stronger. Now I wonder what this could be? It could be a log cabin…Hmm, it could be a corral.

There is an inside…and an outside in this place. But I think there needs to be a way to go out…and a way to come in…I could make a gate.

I wonder who lives here?

Here are some sheep. If sheep live in this place, then it must be a sheepfold. It is called a sheepfold because the sheep are folded safely inside.

Once there was someone who said such amazing things and did such wonderful things that people began to follow him. But they didn’t know who he was. So one day they simply had to ask him, and he said…

“I am the Good Shepherd. I know each one of my sheep by name.

And they know the sound of my voice. So when I call my sheep from the sheepfold, they follow me.

I walk in front of the sheep to show them the way.

I show them the way to the good green grass…I show them the way to the cool, clear, still water….

And when there are places of danger….

I show them the way to pass through…

So they can come safely home to the sheepfold.”

Wonder:

I wonder what is the most important part of this story?

I wonder where you are in this story?

I wonder how this story helps us listen to children?

Response:


If you would like to make something that shows how this story feels to you. You may use any art materials that are available to you.

Read Scripture:
Psalms 23:1-4

Share: We would love you to share your responses on our Light a Candle With Children Facebook page at facebook.com/LightaCandleforChildren.





No comments:

Post a Comment