Friday, October 11, 2019

October 11, 2019

I will be in the church in 10 years. . .

Children and teenagers from the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) were asked why they would be in the church in 10 years. The National Study of Youth and Religion found that almost 60% of emerging adults made their first commitment to live their lives for God before the age of fourteen. (See footnote)

"I will be in the church in 10 years because my faith helps me strengthen my mind and so I can help others with my knowledge of Christ."

"Why Will I be in church in 10 years? Because I was raised in this faith and it has helped me. It is something that I love."

"Why I will still be in church in 10 years, I want to make a difference in people’s lives- in a Christian way. God put us in this world to teach the gospel and love each other so that is what I want to do. I have a purpose and I want to express that. I want to be able to change the way people view life and faith. I want to make a difference!"

Week Three: Luke 8:18-21
Then pay attention to how you listen; for to those who have, more will be given; and from those who do not have, even what they seem to have will be taken away.”

Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. And he was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.” But he said to them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.”

(The Message)
So be careful that you don’t become misers of what you hear. Generosity begets generosity. Stinginess impoverishes.”

His mother and brothers showed up but couldn’t get through to him because of the crowd. He was given the message, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside wanting to see you.”

He replied, “My mother and brothers are the ones who hear and do God’s Word. Obedience is thicker than blood.” 

Weekly Scriptures
Read the weekly scripture each day. Find a phrase or word that speaks to you. Share your reflections with others over dinner, social media, and in prayer. Share the scripture with a child you know in the car, through a text, or in a children's Bible.


*Faith Formation with a New Generation by Lisa Brown, Tanya Eustace Campen, Lynn Barger Elliot, and Lee Yates




*The view represented in these devotions come from a variety of diverse perspectives. We do not seek to agree but seek to welcome all to the conversation and the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment