Sunday, October 9, 2016

October 9: Honest is the best policy


For we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord’s sight but also in the sight of man.” Corinthians 8:21
Honesty is the best policy. If I lose my honor, I lose myself.” - William Shakespeare

Jesus told us that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. Think about it; do you like it when you find out someone has lied to you? Probably not! And since you know how bad it feels to have someone lie to you, you don’t want to make anyone else feel that way either. God wants us to be happy with ourselves; He wants us to be proud of the way we behave and the way we treat other people. Even if we fool people when we lie or cheat, we know that God hasn’t been fooled. And we haven’t fooled ourselves either.

Dear God, help me to be proud of the person I see when I look in the mirror; I want to see an honest person looking back at me. Amen.

*****
Layne Beamer
is Senior Pastor at First Christian Church Whittier, California. He is married to Michyl-Shannon Quilty and has a 21-year- old son, Shayne. Making sure that they are both proud of him is very important to Layne!
*****


Our 2016 prayer vigil theme is Helping Our Children Heal from Violence. For more resources visit  disciplesjustice4children.org and docfamiliesandchildren.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment