Monday, September 26, 2011

Bible Stories



Bible stories. I remember hearing Bible stories from Sunday school teachers, ministers, and my father.  My dad’s were the best because, let’s face it, in his embellishing and dramatization, he made the stories lively if not always completely accurate.  

Never did my parents expect my public school teachers to lead me in prayer or educate me in the faith. Families and faith communities are supposedly best equipped to convey the faith, and if we are not, we need to get ourselves educated.  

The text commands that we tell our children of the love of God at home and away, when we lie down, and when we rise up. These are family times - precious, memorable, holy. Let’s not abdicate this responsibility to anyone else.

Prayer
God of Israel, we are to love you with all our heart, soul, and might.  Our children will learn to love you in this way when we live it for them to see.  Amen.

Rev. Maggie Sebastian
VA Medical Center
Portland, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment